Friday 2 March 2007

The wonder of Wild waterfalls...

I am the first one to admit that I need to get out and about more. So coming up with the idea of going on a waterfall walk seemed like a relatively 'passive' activity that would allow me to grab some fresh Welsh air.

This impression was somewhat a distorted one. I forgot that it rains in Wales. A lot.

But despite the dreary weather, my venture into the woodlands in the Brecons to walk along the River Mellte was an enchanting experience. I felt like an extra on Lord of the Rings, trekking through the countryside, battling over small tributary streams, clamouring over rocks and bracing the natural elements.

However, I only managed to see one waterfall on the day (the Sgwd Clyn-Gwyn). It flows over two ledges and this is the ideal time of year to catch a glimpse thanks to the high discharge of the river. Frothy and white, the water was relentless - a mesmorising sight.

The only mishap of the day was becoming separated from my walking buddy, Tom - I somehow ended up on the opposite side of the river to him. Waving my arms to catch his attention and calling his name was futile; the water was brashly plunging over the bedrock at this point and drowning out my voice...back tracking was the only option.

And another few things I learned - which I really should have known since I have a background in geography:


  • Take a proper map with actual grid references, contours and paths marked on it *blushes at the thought of the hand drawn one downloaded from the internet*
  • Wear proper footwear *realises now that the boots worn were in fact NOT waterproof*
  • Take an umbrella (seriously - I was walking through the woods with my brolly - it came in handy when Tom needed to shelter his camera on its tripod)
And finally - if you can, go and have a look for yourself! More information about the walk is in our next issue of Wild magazine.

No comments: